After living in Germany for nearly a year, I have realised that I am getting….Germanized.
Having thought about it, here is what I am doing differently.
- Plan ahead for a week (mostly wife does it) and make a list of foods to me bought from Mein Laden, REWE or EDEKA.
- Always have a carry bag folded in my bag or jacket pocket for buying stuff.
- Put stuff on the cash counter according to the sequence of filling my carry bag. The sequence depends on the type of bag. Try to finish filing up the bag before the cashier tells the final amount.
- Drink juices mixed with tap water.
- Call it Kartoffel instead of potatos while talking in English or Marathi.
- Eating fruits is a religious duty 😀
- On the way to work go to the bakery in the morning and pick up a Brot.
- Eat only salad for lunch or dinner.
Travel and Time
- Public transport is cool. Use it daily. Make full use of Isar card.
- Change overs on the underground happen involuntarily.
- Catching morning 6:18 am means I am late. Make a smug face.
- More punctual than ever. Getting angry at people for not being punctual without informing.
- Crib when the bus or train is a minute off schedule.
- Stand on the right side of the escalator.
- Stand at the origin station according to the exit of the end station.
- Follow quiet time in the apartment.
- Take care of your own garbage.
- Smirk at people not following rules.
- Takes pictures when I can see sun and blue sky.
- Say Mahlzeit during lunch hours.
- Root for FC Bayern.
- Floaters and slippers are only for house now. I wear shoes exclusively that too specific ones for specific purposes.
- I pay exclusively by debit cards. Not used a credit card for 11 months.
- I think in EUR but invariably call it INR while talking.
- Read novels while traveling on public transport.
AND write about this sitting in an underground train.